Catholic School Council Information
The primary purpose of a Catholic School Council is to focus the resources of an entire community on the well- being and effective learning of our students. The following information is an excerpt of our St. Joseph School Council constitution .
Article III: Membership, Duties and Responsibilities and Election
The membership of St. Joseph Catholic School Council shall be:
- Up to 10 parents and guardians of students enrolled in the school
- A community representative(s) (where possible)
- A parish representative (where possible)
- One teacher employed by the school
- One non-teaching staff member employed by the school (where possible)
- One student representative who is currently a student at St. Joseph CES (where possible)
- The school principal (no voting privileges)
A person is qualified to be a parent/guardian member if he or she is a parent/guardian of a pupil enrolled at the school unless
- he or she is employed at the school; or
- he or she is not employed at the school but is employed elsewhere by the board that established the Council, unless he or she takes reasonable steps to inform people qualified to vote in the election of parent members of that employment
Election of Members
The election of parent members to St. Joseph Catholic School Council shall be subject to the following:
- An election of parent members of the School Council shall be held during the first 30 days of each school year, on a date that is fixed by the Chair or Co-chairs of the school council after consulting with the Principal of the school.
- Parent/guardians who are qualified to serve on the Catholic School Council will be invited to submit a Statement of Intent/Self Nomination if they wish to serve on the Catholic School Council by the date established by the Chair and the Principal.
- If more than the maximum number of parent/guardian members for the Catholic School Council wish to serve on the Council, then an election will be held at the discretion of the Principal. If not, then those who submitted a Statement of Intent/Self Nomination shall be acclaimed to the School Council
- The Principal of a school shall, at least 14 days before the date of the election of parent members, on behalf of the School Council, give written notice of the date, time and location of the election to every parent of a pupil who, on the date the notice is given, is enrolled in the school.
- The required notice may be given by:
- giving the notice to the parent’s child for delivery to his or her parent: and
- posting the notice in the school in a location that is accessible to parents or sending electronically
- The election of parent members shall be by secret ballot (if necessary).
Duties and Responsibilities
The members of the St. Joseph Catholic School Council shall:
- Participate in council meetings
- Act as a link between the School Council, the school community and the community at large
- Encourage the participation of all parents/guardians and of other people within the school community
- Set priorities for the enrichment of the lives of the students at St. Joseph Catholic School.
- Submit annual activity and financial reports to the Principal and the Board.
School Council acts in an advisory capacity to the principal. Other issues can include the preparation of school profiles, extracurricular activities and the establishment of ad-hoc committees for fundraising.
Anyone in the school or broader community is welcome to attend and to observe Catholic School Council meetings. These meetings deal with many issues important to the school community; however, they are not forums for the discussion of parent-teacher-student issues. These concerns will be referred to the Principal.
Our school council is always looking for dynamic individuals in our community to be part of the team. All are welcome!
Objectives for School Councils:
The advisory role of the School Council is to provide ideas and opinions, to assist the principal and where appropriate, school board trustees in their decision-making on educational issues. The objectives of the St. Joseph CES Catholic School Council are:
- To enhance communication between the school, home, church and community;
- To make recommendations to the administration and school staff on;
- School policy and procedures
- Programs and services
- Facilities and equipment
- Learning and resources
- Parent/community education
- Budgeting and finance
- And to support the school by providing resources to fulfill the mission.
Characteristics of Effective School Councils:
- Focus on student learning and the best interests of all students are actively involved in setting school priorities for improving student achievement
- Promote meaningful parental, parish, and community involvement and actively seek the views of their school communities
- Have a clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities
- Include members who represent the diverse views of their school communities
- Keep well informed about school and board policies and procedures
- Have clear and consistent processes for decision making
- Communicate with the community about their activities
- Maintain high ethical standards
- Have members who have developed mutual trust and respect for one another
St. Joseph CES Catholic School Council Members for 2019-2020:
- Chair: Tara Berthin, Jillian Leclair
- Secretary: Tracy Durocher George
- Parish Member: TBD
- Community Rep: TBD
- Parent Reps: Barb Tikel, Meredith and Tanner Kerr, Kassandra Guille, Michele Walters
- Student Rep: TBD
- Staff Reps: Tracy Durocher George/Jennifer Staats
- Principal: Ben McKinnon
Catholic School Council Meeting Dates for 2018-2019:
The St. Joseph Catholic School Council will meet approx. 5 times this school year (dates to be determined and posted on St. Joseph Website Google calendar). All parents are invited to join us in the Learning Commons at 7:00 -8:30 pm.
Catholic School Council Minutes
2018-19 School Year
2017-18 School Year
- 2018 May minutes
- 2018 March minutes
- 2018 January minutes
- 2017 November minutes
- 2017 October minutes
- 2017 September minutes
- 2016-17 School Council Annual Report