We look upon the upcoming Parent / Teacher / Student conferences on November 7th as a great opportunity for us to gain better knowledge of your son/daughter’s academic abilities. With this in mind, we would like to try student-led conferences this year.
Students that take ownership for their learning have an enhanced chance of being successful in school. They better understand and can identify what their strengths are and what they need to focus on to achieve success in term one. Therefore, the interview will be run by your son/daughter.
Please review the conference outline below.
As part of the conference, your son/daughter will be sharing some of the work that he/she has done. The teacher will help your child be prepared for the conference. You can help your son/daughter prepare for the conference by helping them complete page two of the progress report.
The teacher will also talk about their observations of your child’s growth as a student in the hopes this will help you expand your understanding of your child.
This conference is also an opportunity for the teacher to learn from you. You are and will continue to be your child’s first and most important teacher. We are especially interested in hearing from you about your child’s strengths and interests. This will also be a good time to let the teacher know about any problems or goals you feel we should know about.
Interview outline: (10 minutes long)
- Teacher greets parent(s) and student in the hallway.
- Student introduces parent and teacher in the hallway.
- Student reviews the purpose and conference process at the conference table.
- Student shares their strengths and work samples.
- Parent can ask questions or raise points with either their child or the teacher.
- Teacher responds and shares from their assessment of your child.
- Next steps and learning goals are discussed and decided upon.
As in the past, all interviews will be booked online using https://stjoes.schoolappointments.com
If you have any difficulty booking appointments, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Bloomfield in the Main Office. Attached are the instructions for registering online.
We look forward to meeting with you.
The St. Joseph School Staff